Historical Songs of Protest are a set of six skilfully arranged and evocative pieces for unaccompanied trumpet.
The songs are drawn from four centuries and across a wide spectrum of protests that inspired song. They can be performed as a complete set, individually or in combinations. The book contains a bonus duet at the end. Included with each song are carefully researched historical facts and perspectives, useful for preparing programme notes and the original lyrics.
The songs can be performed on Bb, C Trumpet or Cornet. The upper range is C, two octaves above middle C in only in a couple of the arrangements. These arrangements are suitable for grade 8 standard players and above.
1. The Peatbog Soldiers (sung in Nazi Concentration Camps by prisoners)
2. Let Us All Speak Our Minds (from the suffrage movement - US)
3. When Wilt Thou Save The People? (19th Century - English)
4. Oh Freedom (18th and 19th Century Slave Song - US)
5. Jefferson and Liberty (19th Century - US)
6. Thoughts Are Free (The Peasants' War of 1524-26 - German)
Bonus Duet - The Rich and the Poor Man (16th century English)