LOS ANGELES TO PORTLAND & SEATTLE
'THE COAST STARLIGHT' - AN ICONIC PACIFIC ADVENTURE
Everyone traveling Amtrak's popular route between Los Angeles and Seattle should have a copy of "Explore America on Amtrak's Coast Starlight." It's like having your own personal tour guide to describe the captivating scenery, towns, and history passing by your window and tell you fascinating and funny stories. All the while tracking your progress as you proceed across the country.
This essential companion illuminates hundreds of points of interest as the train hugs the beautiful Pacific Ocean, then passes through vast agricultural fields and breathtaking mountain ranges, crossing the paths of trappers and wagon trains, into dense evergreen forests, and through exciting cities.
"Explore America on Amtrak's Coast Starlight" brings to life the stories, trivia, and quirkiness of fascinating small towns and their colorful characters. Using short, whimsical insights and fun facts, it enlivens hundreds of places in an easy-to-read format. For each scheduled stop on the journey, it highlights:
- What is special about the place?
- Why is it here?
- What's happened here?
- What's quirky and fun about it?
- Which famous people come from here?
It turns this wonderfully scenic rail journey into a fascinating adventure along the Pacific Coast.
Don't leave the station without it. TABLE OF CONTENTS1. ALL ABOARD AMTRAK
2. THE COAST STARLIGHT
- What is Amtrak?
- What are the Superliners?
- Seating, Sleeping, and Sightseeing on Amtrak
- Who's Who?
3. HOW TO USE THIS BOOK4. SIGHTSEEING ABOARD THE COAST STARLIGHTHere are some of the stations and themes included: Los Angeles CA Oxnard, CA Santa Barbara, CA
- The History of The Coast Starlight
- Why Ride the Coast Starlight?
- The Coast Starlight Schedule
- The Coast Starlight Stations (Northbound)
What was the El Camino Real?San Jose, CA
What was the California Gold Rush?Oakland, CA
Why Did San Francisco Have Such a Colorful History?Sacramento, CA
What Was the Pony Express?Redding, CA Klamath Falls, OR
What Makes Crater Lake so Distinctive?Eugene, OR
Why is the Willamette River so Important to Oregon?Salem, OR
What Was the Oregon Trail?Portland, OR Vancouver, WA Olympia-Lacy, WA Tacoma, WA Seattle, WA 5. ADDITIONAL RESOURCES6. COAST STARLIGHT TRIVIA QUESTIONS ALL ABOARD