Independent Bookstore Day (IBD) is a one-day national party that takes place at indie bookstores across the country on the last Saturday in April. At Women & Children First, we'll have complimentary coffee and donuts from The Coffee Studio beginning at 10 a.m. Then, we'll have a delicious assortment of breads, spreads, and cookies from Sauce and Bread Kitchen at 2 p.m. We'll also be hosting a special edition of our new literary series, The Conversation at 4 p.m. (details below)
Plus, are you ready for the #MyChicagoBookstore Challenge?
This year on IBD, at least 24 Chicagoland stores are jointly sponsoring the #MyChicagoBookstore Challenge, which encourages book lovers to indulge in bookstore tourism by visiting 10 or more stores on that one day. To begin their trip, readers can pick up a #MyChicagoBookstore carabiner and their first
“luggage tag” from their favorite indie bookstore with an initial purchase of $25 or more. (**See participating stores listed below**)
Additional bookstore visits throughout the day (no purchase required) enable them to collect an additional tag at each subsequent bookstore. The payoff comes for visits at the following levels:
- Visit TEN stores and get 10% off at all bookstores listed below for the ENTIRE YEAR!
- Visit FIFTEEN stores and get 15% off at all bookstores listed below for the ENTIRE YEAR!
Also, readers are encouraged to post a snapshot of themselves and their Independent Bookstore Day haul, and enter to win more prizes!
- On Instagram: Use #CHIBD17
- On Twitter: Use #CHIBD17 or @chibookstore
But, wait! There's more:
- 57th Street Books, 1301 E. 57th St., Chicago 60637 / 773.684.1300 / semcoop.com
- Anderson's Bookshop (three stores)
- The Book Bin, 151 Church St., Northbrook 60062 / 847.498.4999 / bookbinnorthbrook.com
- The Book Cellar, 4736-38 N. Lincoln Ave., Chicago 60625 / 773.293.2665 / bookcellarinc.com
- The Book Stall at Chestnut Court, 811 Elm St., Winnetka 60093 / 847.446.8880 / thebookstall.com
- The Book Table, 1045 Lake St., Oak Park 60301 / 708.386.9800 / booktable.net
- Bookends & Beginnings, 1712 Sherman Ave., Alley #1, Evanston 60201 / 224.999.7722 / bookendsandbeginnings.com
- Bookie’s, 2419 W. 103rd St., Chicago, IL 60655 / 773.239.1110 / bookieschicago.com
- Centuries and Sleuths, 7419 Madison St., Forest Park 60130 / 708.771.7243 /centuriesandsleuths.com
- Magic Tree Bookstore, 141 N. Oak Park Ave., Oak Park 60301 / 708.848.0770 / magictreebooks.com
- Newberry Library Bookshop, 60 W. Walton St., Chicago 60610 / 312.255.3520 / newberry.org/bookstore
- Open Books (two stores)
- Powell’s Books Chicago, 1501 E. 57th St., Chicago 60637 / 773.955.7780 / powellschicago.com
- Quimby’s, 1854 W. North Ave., Chicago 60622 / 773.342.0910 / quimbys.com
- Read It & Eat, 2142 N. Halsted St., Chicago 60614 / 773.661.6158 / readitandeatstore.com
- RoscoeBooks, 2142 W. Roscoe St., Chicago 60618 / 773.857.2676 / roscoebooks.com
- Sandmeyer's Bookstore, 714 S. Dearborn St., Chicago 60605 / 312.922.2104 /sandmeyersbookstore.com
- Seminary Co-op Bookstore, 5751 S. Woodlawn Ave., Chicago 60637 / 773.752.4381 / semcoop.com
- Volumes Bookcafe, 1474 N. Milwaukee Ave., Chicago 60622 / 773.697.8066
- Wicker Park Secret Agent Supply Co./826CHI, 1276 N. Milwaukee Ave., Chicago 60622 /773.772.8108 / secretagentsupply.com
- Women & Children First, 5233 N. Clark St., Chicago 60640 / 773.769.9299 / womenandchildrenfirst.com