1. What’s a feminist bookstore--do you only sell books by women? Women & Children First believes in the liberation of people of all genders, and chooses to actively showcase and uplift literary work that is written by people who find themselves living most precariously under patriarchy. This is to say we carry books written by men, women, and people who are neither, and we choose to celebrate and carry more books written by trans people, non-binary people, and women. Content is just as key as identity. We curate toward a feminist ideology keeping in mind things like how authors conduct themselves in their relationships with trans people, non-binary people and women as well as how they portray these identities in their writing. If you find that we no longer carry books by authors who, for example, have been transphobic or abusive to women, we are not banning these voices, but choosing not to include them in our curation of feminist texts. We believe what we carry in-store to be a direct representation of our politics. If you're interested in learning more about the origin and history of the bookstore, click HERE.
2. Are you hiring? We are always accepting applications. If you're interested in applying to Women & Children First, you'll need to come into the bookstore and pick up an application. The application is two pages and so you're welcome to complete it at home and drop it off at a later date. When you turn in your application, you'll be asked to complete an in-store Author Identification Quiz. We'll keep your completed application on file for one year and we will contact you if openings arise and we think you're a good fit.
3. Is your store wheelchair accessible, including bathrooms? Our store is wheelchair accessible, however our bathrooms are not--there is a narrow hallway and sharp 90-degree turn on the way to our bathrooms. For events, seating is first-come, first-served, but we are happy to reserve seats for people with disabilities. Please call the store at 773-769-9299 the day of the event if you need a reserved seat or have additional questions.
4. Do you offer donations for raffles and other fundraisers? We offer ten $25 gift certificates per month to charitable organizations. We distribute these on a first come first serve basis. You or someone from your organization will need to come to the bookstore in order to pick one up. Due to demand, we are unable to put certificates on hold. If you are unable to come in soon, we'll have 10 more certificates available on on the first of every month. We strongly recommend coming in on the first of the month so that you'll be first in line!
5. Will you sell my self-published book / Do you take books on consignment? Women & Children First carries a small number of self-published books on consignment. We primarily accept titles by local authors and artists, especially those books that have a strong feminist, queer, or political focus. To have your title considered, you should come to the store on a weekday – no weekends please! - with a copy of your book, zine, or chapbook for a staff member to assess. If we think it’s a good fit for us, we will have you fill out a consignment agreement and we will take 2-3 copies to stock on our shelves. If it sells, you will receive 60% of the cover cost, paid out either in cash or check based on the dollar amount. We do not assume responsibility for your book and you will need to follow up with us if you believe it has sold. *Please note that we do not accept any titles published through CreateSpace, the Amazon self publishing platform.* We also take on very few consignment titles, so if we decline to stock the book our decision is final but do not be discouraged – there may be a better fit for you elsewhere! Due to the volume of requests we receive, not all emails or requests will receive a response, and any book sent on spec will not be returned.*
6. What's your return policy? We offer store credit or exchange only. We do not offer cash refunds. Prepaid Special Orders cannot be returned for store credit or exchanged. All online orders are final.
7. Do I need a ticket to attend an event? All of our events are free and open to the public unless otherwise stated in the event description listed on our website.
8. How do I have an event at the bookstore? In order to propose an author or community event to be held at Women & Children First, please complete THIS FORM. If we think it is a good fit for our bookstore, we will respond to you in a timely manner. Unfortunately, due to the number of proposals we receive each day, we are unable to respond to every request. Before proposing an event, we encourage you to take a moment to learn about the history of Women & Children First and its mission to celebrate margainalized voices and consider whether or not we are the best venue for your event.